Otter Tail Country Tourism
Monday, August 9, 2010
10 Reasons to Skip WE Fest (While Still Enjoying the Lake!)
Now just because you can have fun at WE Fest doesn't mean it's the only thing to do the first full weekend of August in Minnesota! There are plenty of options close to WE Fest but far enough away from all the hustle and bustle.
We've put together a list of reasons to avoid WE Fest while still having a chance to enjoy the beautiful lakes country of our great state.
10) It's easier on the ears to listen to loons cry on the lake than 110 decibels of Kid Rock or Kenny Chesney.
9) The Otter Tail River's usual population is nowhere to be found - take a tube trip down the river with your family and breathe easy.
8) WE Fest's historical library is a bit hazy - check out the Otter Tail County Library and brush up on your lakes country history!
7) Cook weiners on a poorly made fire from beer boxes...or fresh Shore Lunch Walleye - you pick!
6) WE Fest might be home to 50,000 Country Music fans, but Otter Tail County is home to over 1,000 lakes - 10% of Minnesota's 10,000 lakes!
5) You can find outdoor concerts in Ottertail, Fergus Falls, and Vergas too!
4) Hiking through Maplewood State Park is a lot prettier than through Viking Campground at 8am (it probably smells a lot nicer, too!).
3) Golfing is much more relaxing when you don't have to tee off from in between bags of empty beer cans.
2) It's a lot less embarrassing to see your boss at the dock after a fishing trip than in the beer line after the Dierks Bentley concert.
1) Well, it looks like I have run out of reasons to skip WE Fest - and as they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! The Soo Pass Ranch is just outside of Detroit Lakes, MN, which is just a short drive from Otter Tail Country - go ahead and check it out next year!
So there you have it - our 10 reasons to skip WE Fest while still having some fun in lakes country (and hopefully Otter Tail Country!). We hope you get a chance to check out some of the great offerings our part of the state has - we're sure you'll have fun!
-Otter Tail Country Team
posted by Al